History & Life Members
History of BWHA
BWHA was established in 1933, with the first playing fields at Marchant Park, Chermside. Countless hours of hard work and volunteer hours have gone into making BWHA the dynamic and forward thinking association it is today. The home base for BWHA was moved to Downey Park in 1959. Downey Park was designated a “Women’s Reserve” and allowed the joint development of facilities for many women’s sport through the QWASC.
A large clubhouse was built in 1985 at Downey Park. The first floor of the clubhouse is a large function room with licensed bar facilities and the administration offices (relocated in 2009 after flooding). The ground floor houses changerooms, storage. pro-shop and canteen. This facility is available for hire for any functions or community events.
Downey Park is a shared facility with softball using the fields from October to March each year and hockey from April to September. BWHA has a canteen, hockey shop and first aid facilities at Downey Park, that are available on all days that hockey competition is held there. BWHA also holds the lease for Rasey Park, Butterfield Street, Herston (that has a small clubhouse and canteen facility) and utilises the artificial turf facilities of the State Hockey Centre, Redcliffe, Burringbar Park and Easts Tiger Turf.
BWHA has 17 Senior Clubs and 18 Junior Clubs affiliated in 2012. With player numbers in excess of 3000 there are Division 1 to 5 (played on Turf), DP1 to DP5 (on grass), three Masters divisions (Turf) and Junior divisions from JT1 to JT3, U13T (Turf), JG1 & JG2 (Grass), 13A to 13C (Grass), 11A to 11D (Grass), Rookey U9 and Rookey U7.
* Denotes deceased
Click on our life members for information about their achievements